The Phyllocnistis citrella is an insect known as miner, which attacks different types of crops, including marijuana.
The miners are small flies that do not usually measure more than 5 mm, they like to live inside the leaves and make galleries including killing all the leaves and stems entirely if not remediated.
The ideal climate for leafminers to develop and to reproduce, is similar to that which occurs in a crop of cannabis, between 25 – 30 degree Celsius, with a relative humidity from 40% to 60%.
The miners with those conditions, complete their life cycle in just 15-20 days :
– Egg : About 1 mm, color is at first transparent, later going to a light brown. Approximate incubation is between 3 and 9 days.
– Larvae : Once hatched the egg, the larva comes out. Yellowish, this does not have legs, and to scroll it helps with some motions it makes with the thorax. Its size is around 3 mm. The larvae pass through three larval stages of a total duration of approximately 8-10 days.
– Pupa : Its cocoon at first is yellow and as it grows, its color becomes dark, the eyes and hooks appear at the top of his head which breaks the cocoon to make it out.
– Adult : In this state, the leafminer adult is a butterfly of a size between 2 and 4 mm. bright white.
Will the damage be repaired?
Leafminer larvae feed on the leaves, making “galleries” into these. Detect it is easy, at a glance we see the grooves of the galleries that performs.
Just destroying leaves, curving and cuticle blackening ends. The miner action causes a loss of leaf mass, reducing the photosynthetic capacity of the plant, directly affected the production of flowers.
Still, not a deadly plague and we can control it easily.
Too late, I have miners in my culture!
Quiet, as we discussed earlier this pest becomes not so difficult to control such as a powdery mildew, spider mites or whiteflies.
Look at the leaves, if there are few infected, you can crush the miner in its “galleries” with toes, and ready. If the leave is very damaged, remove it from the plant.
If the pest is quite advanced, you can use the following method home :
– 1 liter of water mixed with 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide, and after spraying the plants with it.
If your plants are growing, and the plague has spread its leaves, you can use products like:
– Fungui .
Do not use these insecticides in the flowering stage, these products can damage the flowers and leaving them useless.
Best of luck!